These are cliff notes from an episode of The Unmistakable Creative Podcast
Laleh Hancock joins Srini for an inspiring discussion about turning adversity into opportunity, changing our perspective and practices so that we can thrive in the world today and in the future.
1. Laleh has escaped from Iran during the Iranian revolution. That experience taught her to embrace new situations and see them as opportunities instead of problems.
2. An important message she got from her parents that proved correct in her career was the importance of doing the things you love. When you do things with joy and enthusiasm, you radiate and are able to attract what you need.
3. Young people place a lot of pressure on themselves to choose the right path or right career. However, nowadays you can change your path and iterate as you go. Your decisions are not permanent.
4. This episode was recorded in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic, a global crisis that has brought a ton of uncertainty to everyone. We can look at the world coming to an end and panic or we can create a change. We are better off accepting the current situation, creating rather than consuming. We can focus on what is working and make it better.
5. As the current crisis has shown clearly, our health and well-being is the pillar of our lives. Everything else matters less. Our health is not only taking vitamins or eating a certain type of food but it is also listening to our bodies and getting the rest that we need.
6. Physical movement is a crucial factor in our health. Due to Covid-19 isolation, we are all getting a lot less movement than we think. It is hence important to prioritize exercise and physical activity.
7. Our mental health is strained now when everyone is together all the time and news are inducing panic. What we can do is to purposely choose what content to consume and make sure it is uplifting rather than depressing. That does not mean ignoring the problem but giving ourselves space to feel our emotions, stabilize and be able to deal with problems from the position of strength.
8. One key result of this crisis was the change in the way we communicate. We have seen a lot more online communication. However, it is important to note that for many years people have become isolated and they are talking to each other but not connecting with each other and showing up for each other. Physical distances should not be boundaries, technology enables us to connect with people all over the world and we should use it.
9. Laleh’s definition of success has changed with time. Initially, she thought that she was successful if she was able to reach as many people as possible with her message and now she thinks that if you can positively change perspective and life of just one person, you are doing a good job.
10. To be unmistakable, according to Laleh, you should be your authentic self and present it to others.